POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fern update WIP :-) : Fern update WIP :-) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 16:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Fern update WIP :-)
Date: 19 Jan 2002 16:46:29
Message: <3c49e935@news.povray.org>
Hi to all fern-fans *g* and of course to all others too,

First, thank you very much for your explanation of WIP. I got the meaning
while reading several postings but couldn't figure out the exact shortcut.

A lot of things happened to the fern scene mostly based on your feedback and
comments.

I split the code into two include files (one for the leaves one for the
wing). Some additional "Level of detail" variables simplified quick test
renderings and camera arrangements. After that I did re-measuered on my well
known "living-room-fern" to place the leaves more realistic onto the main
stem. Additionally I got interesting results about it's proportions and how
they change while aging.
Finally I developed some algorithms to compute the colour depending on the
leave's age, modified the normal slope map and changed some stuff in the
textures until a small leaf was realistic enough for my needs in a close-up.
Additional optimisations reduced the number of objects from over 14000 (for
two wings) down to 3900 without noticeable reduction of details.

Well then.... talking a lot but finally here's the picture.
A detail shot will follow as usual.

Any comments/hint/remarcs/tips are very welcome!
Have a nice day,
regards

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: