POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Robot Hand WIP : Re: Robot Hand WIP Server Time
16 Aug 2024 16:16:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Robot Hand WIP
From: Mark Hanford
Date: 19 Jan 2002 16:16:58
Message: <3c49e24a@news.povray.org>
I don't know yet if the "die-cast" type effect for the hand's frame is
right, or if it needs to me made up of parts like the fingers.  It was
really just something to hold the fingers together.

The thumb is something I've been trying to ignore really.  I had trouble
making it move in all the required directions and also making the main body
of the hand be the right shape to hold it.  I can't quite work out how I'm
going to do it with the style I've picked - I'll probably have to dig out my
old Lego Technic and try it for "real".  (Maybe Fred Breizatao or Anton
Rave's Lego POV kits would be more fitting :)

I don't suppose this hand will ever do a Vulcan salute with fingers like
that.

Mark

"Ryan Mooney" <rdm### [at] earthlinknet> wrote in message
> wow...
> the thumb needs a way to be opposable... It needs a  joint at the base for
> vertical movement like the fingers... =]
> Also the fingers need slight horizontal movement but that looks
complicated
> with the design you have... Oh and don't forget to be extra versatile with
the
> better half... =] Yours that is... =] TTFN
>
> Mark Hanford wrote:
>
> > Here it is - my very first object that I'll publicly admit to creating.
> > Every day on the train home for about 30 minutes and then every evening
that
> > my wife lets me has resulted in this...
> >
> > The whole thing was created using CSG for the fingers, prisms for the
hand
> > and the fabulous Splines.inc by Chris Colefax.  I'm struggling a bit
with
> > creating interesting textures, but am pleased that I manged to get the
> > fingers controllable by a simple macro:
> > #macro Finger(FingerType, Bend1, Bend2, Bend3)
> > Is that FK? I tried IK (I think) but could work out the angles needed
for a
> > specified point at the tip.  :(
> >
> > I suppose next comes the

wrist...arm...shoulder...torso...don'tforgettoeat...legs...feet...divorce...