POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A fearful monster (60kbu) : Re: A fearful monster (60kbu) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 22:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A fearful monster (60kbu)
From: Batronyx
Date: 15 Jan 2002 22:22:59
Message: <3c44f213@news.povray.org>
"JRG" <jrg### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message news:3c446ade@news.povray.org...
> Hmm, do you mean something like the PCM macros? Morphing between two meshes
with the
> same number of triangles? Or something completely different?

That's more or less exactly what I'm talking about. That is completely possible
now. However, as Rune once pointed out when I mentioned this before, the current
set of morphing macros use linear interpolation and that would require a lot of
'key' meshes to get anything smooth.

Initially, I thought that wasn't really an issue because that's exactly how
Imagine for Windows implements its morphing routines. However, upon further
thought, Imagine likely uses an optimized internal format for storing the state
data. Using the PCM macros would require "a lot" of data and "a lot" of drive
space. Much more than the .iob file Imagine creates, even if the PCM files are
compressed.

I've been stewing on another method to use the .pcm file just once (or at least
with much fewer key-states). This likely means a custom morphing macro or two,
and some thought on how to get this all set up in a useable manner.

--
light_source{0,1}#macro c(J,a)sphere{0,1pigment{rgb z}scale a translate J+O}
#end#macro B(R,V,O)c(0,4)intersection{c(V,R)difference{c(-z*4x+10)c(-z*4.1x+