POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A fearful monster (60kbu) : Re: A fearful monster (60kbu) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 16:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A fearful monster (60kbu)
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 14 Jan 2002 13:47:39
Message: <3c4327cb@news.povray.org>
Bill DeWitt wrote in message <3c42dd94$1@news.povray.org>...

>"Francois Labreque" <fla### [at] videotronca> wrote :
>>
>> But, but, but... she can't.  According to my worn out copy of the AD&D
>> Monster Manual, the Beholder needs that big eye.[1]
>
>    Ah... I thought 'Beholder" was her own name (Never played the game).

No. I chose it 'cause I thought it'd be an easy intro to organic modelling.
Easy is one thing it wasn't <grin>

For those who don't know, here's the description of the beholder from the
AD&D
monsterous manual

"The beholder is the stuff of nightmares. This creature, also called the
sphere of
many eyes or the eye tyrant, appears as a large orb dominated by a central
eye
and a large toothy maw, has 10 smaller eyes on stalks sprouting from the top
of
the orb. Among adventurers, beholders are known as deadly adversaries.
 Equally deadly are a number of variant creatures known collectively as
beholder-kin, including radical and related creatures, and an undead
variety.
These creatures are related in manners familial and arcane to the
``traditional''
beholders, and share a number of features, including the deadly magical
nature
of their eyes. The most extreme of these creatures are called beholder
abominations.
 The globular body of the beholder and its kin is supported by levitation,
allowing
it to float slowly about as it wills.
 Beholders and beholder-kin are usually solitary creatures, but there are
reports
of large communities of them surviving deep beneath the earth and in the
void
between the stars, under the dominion of hive mothers."

Gail
* gsh### [at] monotixcoza                *   Chaos, disorder and panic      *
* http://www.rucus.ru.ac.za/~gail/   *   My job here is done.           *
* Just think of me as the storm before the calm     Magic: The Gathering*