POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal : Re: ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:28:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 13 Jan 2002 06:51:52
Message: <3c4174d8@news.povray.org>
In article <3C415901.CFCC9CCD@avalon-net.co.il> , Eugene Arenhaus
<eug### [at] avalon-netcoil>  wrote:

> No, I am talking about reusing object descriptions internally: like
> rendering 10000 copies of a sphere with only one actual sphere object
> kept in RAM.

Not useful as a general solution:  A sphere takes about 108 bytes in memory
right now.  A transformation matrix, 4*4 doubles takes 128 bytes.

I think like many before you, you made the mistake to first make some
general suggestions as if POV-Ray would do nothing other programs do but you
never really looked into the code to actually verify your suggestions make
sense.  It is a common problem with many people who made similar suggestions
before, and it usually creates on-topic threads as long as this one very
quickly, without any useful outcome :-(

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde