POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : sphere sweep bounding boxes calculated incorrectly : Re: sphere sweep bounding boxes calculated incorrectly Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:23:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sphere sweep bounding boxes calculated incorrectly
From: Slime
Date: 11 Jan 2002 21:54:17
Message: <3c3fa559$1@news.povray.org>
> All the bounding box has to be is somewhere outside the
> object, but you simply cannot expect it to be a tight bound.

True, but the closest sphere_sweep from the origin goes from <40,40,40> to
<50,50,50>, with a radius of 1/10. There's no way its bounding box should
come anywhere close to the origin. And that doesn't explain why its bounding
box *stops* including the origin when you remove any one of the three
sphere_sweeps, or enclose them all inside a merge{}.

I discovered this bug when placing hundreds of very tiny sphere_sweeps very
far from the origin, and the bounding boxes of all of them appeared to be
the smallest box that could contain both the entire sphere_sweep *and* the
origin, creating very huge bounding boxes, and a very slow rendering time.

- Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]
[ http://www.slimeland.com/images/ ]