POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : first steps with the linux version : Re: first steps with the linux version Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: first steps with the linux version
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 10 Jan 2002 22:24:47
Message: <3c3e5aff$1@news.povray.org>
In article <307### [at] mayaboanet>, "Adrien Beau"
<spa### [at] freefr> wrote:

> On Jeudi 10 Janvier 2002 14:38, Christoph Hormann wrote:
>
>> Since it's provisional anyway it's not a big problem, i suppose the
>> final compiled linux version will only be available as .rpm/.deb
>> anyway.
>
> Why not Slackware packages too? :-)

I have Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSE, and Debian available to me.  I don't have
Slackware available.  I can look into it, but it's not going to be
terribly soon, and I'm not going to make any promises.  In my experience,
most Slackware users prefer to build from source, which both simplifies
things (gives me an excuse to ask Slackware users to build from source)
and complicates things (since I don't know what versions of shared
libraries are going to be installed on a given user's Slackware box,
meaning that I'm pretty much stuck statically linking, something I try to
avoid whenever possible).

-Mark Gordon