POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : file input - doc bug, i/o bug or tom bug? : Re: file input - doc bug, i/o bug or tom bug? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:27:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: file input - doc bug, i/o bug or tom bug?
From: Tom Melly
Date: 10 Jan 2002 12:42:47
Message: <3c3dd297$1@news.povray.org>
news:3c3dc4c7@news.povray.org...

> I think it is really perfectly clear already.  It does not imply a newline
> substitutes a comma in any way, nor does it suggest commas are optional.  To
> the contrary, it says "must have", which could not be more obvious, at least
> to me.

You misunderstand - it isn't that I think newlines should work as well as a
comma - rather that I expected #read to process each line as a separate
operation (and therefore not care whether the preceding line had a comma or
not).

> IMO the problems arise because you make some assumptions that it would work
> like some other program despite the manual never saying it does and clearly
> stating the opposite.  The manual cannot cover for the behavior of other
> programs.  In this place it can only give a concise description of what
> POV-Ray expects, and I think it does a good job.

It doesn't state the opposite - it makes no reference to multi-line i/o at all.
All the examples deal with a single line. Still, you are correct, I made an
assumption. If I am the only one likely to make such an assumption, then the
docs do not need clarification.