POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : iso-sphere-sweep - second example : Re: iso-sphere-sweep - second example Server Time
17 Aug 2024 00:09:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iso-sphere-sweep - second example
From: Batronyx
Date: 9 Jan 2002 22:51:22
Message: <3c3d0fba@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

> Batronyx wrote:
> >
> > "Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> >
> > > I am afraid that the images made with Softy 3d are meshes,
> > > not iso-surfaces.
> >
> > ... he says -- as if I didn't know.
>
> Sorry.

Just razzin' ya! :)

> I have just had a second look at it. And now I noticed
> something that I did not notice last time I looked:
>
> All the shapes are made of spheres and a kind of sphere
> sweeps, all blobbed together.
>
> You may be right: Maybe something similar could be done
> with POV-Ray's iso-surfaces. Now somebody have to find
> a "blobbable" function of e.g. a cubic spline sphere
> sweep (or something similar).

Which is the direction, I thought you and ABX were heading.

> > That was the point: Softy3D results at POV prices. :)
>
> How much does it cost ?

Last time I looked, ( this is from memory; accuracy not guaranteed) about 49 EU
or 75 USD

> But Softy3D is not scriptable, is it ?
[snip]
> Maybe some (like me) prefer a text interface to modelling.

No it isn't scriptable, so the utility would just be a way to get a good start.
I find modeling utilities convenient to start with, and fine tune things later
with the text interface. Particularly for meshes, pathces, and splines. Oddly
enough, I don't use them for scene layout though, just specific objects.

> > It was just an idea.

> That would be a good enough reason to implement something
> like this with POV-macros.

Kind of like the idea I'm about to post. Maybe some will find it useful.

--
light_source{0,1}#macro c(J,a)sphere{0,1pigment{rgb z}scale a translate J+O}
#end#macro B(R,V,O)c(0,4)intersection{c(V,R)difference{c(-z*4x+10)c(-z*4.1x+