POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Desk w. Hutch (RL WIP?) [~71K Jpg] : Re: Desk w. Hutch (RL WIP?) [~71K Jpg] Server Time
16 Aug 2024 18:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Desk w. Hutch (RL WIP?) [~71K Jpg]
From: bob h
Date: 9 Jan 2002 17:25:11
Message: <3c3cc347@news.povray.org>
"Shay" <sah### [at] simcopartscom> wrote in message

> Nice design. Couldn't get close to building it for $150 though. Besides,
It
> would weigh a ton!

Hate to say it but I believe you're right  :-)  There's some pretty nice
desk/hutch combos I've now found online at  for $130 to $475, but still
nothing equal in capacity.  Notice mine here has 24" deep shelves, not easy
to reach things but good for packing stuff away.

The boards are a mere half inch thick but the total volume is something like
5 and 1/3 cubic feet of wood, which is to say a 5.3' x 1' x 1' post.
Depends on the type of wood but I was thinking kiln-dried pine.  Maybe 25
pounds per cubic foot?  I don't really know, I only build things like sheds,
decks, carports, etc. and never weighed anything or used kiln-dried (indoor)
wood before.  I do know the weight can vary a great deal though.

I'll check into what particle board would cost.  But as I already know (only
two bookcases are hardwoods) the stuff can be awfully flimsy.

bob h