POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More kitchen stuff (32kbu) : Re: More kitchen stuff (32kbu) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 18:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More kitchen stuff (32kbu)
From: bob h
Date: 8 Jan 2002 14:17:44
Message: <3c3b45d8@news.povray.org>
"Gail Shaw" <gsh### [at] monotixcoza> wrote in message

> "bob h" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in message
>
> > Comment on metal texture:  seems the measuring spoons don't have
> reflection,
>
> <sigh> gotta work on my textures. The spoons are white plastic
> texture {
>  pigment {White}
>  finish {specular 0.5 roughness 0.02}
> }

Oops, my mistake then, sorry Gail!  :-)  Guess that when someone doesn't use
reflection on something white with highlights I should try and think plastic
instead of metal.

Getting white things looking right is one of those difficult things to do.
I almost always use a color value greater than 1, often 1.2 to 1.4, while
keeping diffuse below the default of 0.6 along with using a higher ambient
than the default 0.1, around 0.2 to 0.3.  A low brilliance, such as 0.2,
really helps too I think.
Radiosity is of course good at enhancing the whiteness most times too.  If
you were to use that then dropping color back to 1.0 and removing brilliance
is probably wise.
As usual YMMV.

bob h