POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Computer Keyboard : Re: Computer Keyboard Server Time
16 Aug 2024 18:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Computer Keyboard
From: Hugo
Date: 5 Jan 2002 18:08:36
Message: <3c378774$1@news.povray.org>
JRG wrote:
> Where's the ordering form?
> ;)

You may order right here!  :o)   Well, sometimes I think it would be nice if
there was a way to earn a bit of money from this kind of art.. Many of us
would probably like that, eh? But I might release the source code in the
tradition of pov.. When the keyboard is finished.

Rune wrote:
> nice Danish model. Very photorealistic too! And of course the
> POV-Ray details are great. :D
> Keep up the good modeling work!

Thanks! Realism is my aim. I used my own keyboard as reference (surprised?)
but with some modifications.. Lighting is also very important.. I tried a
few setups, including IndoorHQ-radiosity that comes with Pov3.5 and that
looks great but takes 15 hours, and that was before all the keys were
modelled.. Maybe I'll find a way to reduce that rendertime.

> Pure POV coding? You made it very smooth for primitives!
> Nice modelling. There's a blank key in there...

Yes, a blank key.  :o)  Cause I haven't modelled the sign yet.. But all the
details would look better if I render in double resolution and resize 50%
after that, even though I use very good AA... I don't know why this is so?

The keys are made entirely of triangles (result is mesh2) but constructed
within POV by 6 macros I wrote.. The macros were flexible enough to form all
the key-sizes, even the "return" key with some bad tricks.. So they render
quick, parses quick, and actually takes little memory, because the macros
don't waste too many triangles.. As you can hear I'm a liiiitle proud of
this.  :o)  I hope to make a set of flexible triangle macros, of general
use, to allow many kind of shapes.. I have worked on some ideas, but we will
see..

JRG wrote:
> Is it meant to be wireless?

Well, my own keyboard is wireless but I haven't decided yet.  :o)
Thanks for all your comments so far ! !

Hugo