POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.international : [en] Team Work : Re: [int] Team Work Server Time
28 Sep 2024 03:20:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [int] Team Work
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 5 Jan 2002 10:14:06
Message: <3c37183d@news.povray.org>
Fabien Mosen wrote:

> Tony[B] wrote:
>
>> Jaime should be putting it up on his site soon... or maybe we will need
>> to ask Mr. Whelan first. I don't know.
>

> Maybe I should moderate what I said.  If it's just inspiration (same
> kind of mood, same theme,...), there's no problem.  If it's a straight
> remake, you could say that it's for "study" purposes, but, then, it
> should be clearly labelled as such, and not be published on the web.

  No, Fabien, we talk (at least me) about the *original* image. Clearly,
our work is not illegal as the original image is used only as inspiration,
and the final image will surely not resemble too much the original.

  The problem is about publishing a hi-res version of the original image
for everyone to have a reference. This picture is no more available at the
official site at such resolution, and the FAQ on the site clearly states
the images can't be published, except for scanned book covers. Seems that
lately Michael Whelan reduced *very* drastically the size of the images on
their site, suposedly because some people were stealing the hi-res images
for ilegal purposes (entering contests, printing posters, etc...).

  The only solution I found to show everyone the original image (at a nice
resolution), is to point to some other site (illegaly) showing it. There
are several places on the net showing this image at hi-res, and linking
them is not illegal, altough Michael Whelan seems to think the contrary
(his statements are really restrictive, and he thinks that you are a
criminal if you look at his images on ilegal sites).

  What do you all think?

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia