POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Known Bugs 24 Dec 2001 (beta 9) : Re: Known Bugs 24 Dec 2001 (beta 9) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:28:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Known Bugs 24 Dec 2001 (beta 9)
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 1 Jan 2002 13:37:38
Message: <3c3201f2@news.povray.org>

3c2f9e16@news.povray.org...
> > Black outline in smooth meshes
> > (The outline of smooth meshes exhibit black dots or areas (which go away
> > with double_illuminate))
> > http://news.povray.org/3bf6794e$1@news.povray.org
>
> Does this have something to do with surface normals?  The current behavior
> might actually be correct...

It may have something to do with surface normals, since they are faked, and
the current behavior could be "correct" as far as the the algorithm is
concerned.

However, it's certainly not correct from a user's point of view. It has
certainly be a problem when using meshes, even highly detailed ones, on a
bright background. In some cases, I spent hours manually removing the dots
afterwards on large renders. No fun at all... The double_illuminate
workaround works, but may cause other problems, even more disturbing (I
still have to investigate that).
Meshes weren't much used by Povers until now, so the problem was quite
unnoticed (and unimportant) but I bet that more people will use meshes in
Povray now on.

G.
--

http://www.oyonale.com