POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : slave cabin [~50K Jpg] : Re: slave cabin [~50K Jpg] Server Time
16 Aug 2024 20:25:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: slave cabin [~50K Jpg]
From: bob h
Date: 31 Dec 2001 20:16:12
Message: <3c310ddc@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
news:3C3### [at] hotmailcom...

> Bob, this cabin reminds me of the ones
> in the film 'The Cider House Rules'.

I found there is a website showing clips from that movie but I couldn't tell
much from what I saw.
The building was much like any old shed you'd see on a farm except with a
fireplace in the center, open to both sides.  There was probably a wood
shingle roof originally since a metal roof might not have been as likely in
the mid-1800's.

Finally found a close match at:
http://www.crt.state.la.us/crt/ocd/arch/greathou/quar1.htm
I'll be sending that to the parents to see if it resembles the place at all,
the doors are just one each on opposite walls, likewise the windows.  Most I
found on the 'net had only openings for windows, no glass.

I wasn't told about any sort of porch but from all the other photos I found
that was a common thing.  There was some kind of addition to the three slave
cabins (or quarters) which my father's father had built onto them.  I never
knew him since he died while my Dad was still a kid.