POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Known Bugs 24 Dec 2001 (beta 9) : Re: Known Bugs 24 Dec 2001 (beta 9) Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:32:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Known Bugs 24 Dec 2001 (beta 9)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 31 Dec 2001 19:55:50
Message: <3c310916@news.povray.org>
In article <zsD### [at] econymdemoncouk> , Mike Williams
<mik### [at] nospamplease>  wrote:

> Is the fix still obscured by other isosurface bugs?
>
> The given example file (http://news.povray.org/3bdf2d82@news.povray.org)
> runs a little slower on my machine in beta 9 than it did under beta 8:-
>
> beta 6          29 secs
> beta 7   2 mins  6 secs (reported as a bug)
> beta 8   1 min  51 secs ("fixed", but obscured by other bugs)
> beta 9   2 mins  6 secs ("fixed")

Wait a second.  The scene uses max_gradient with evaluate on outdated style
and you end up comparing apples and bananas!!!

I clearly explained when I described the changes that that combination did
not actually use evaluate but only activated the max_gradient message in
beta 6 and any version of isosurfaces (official or unofficial) before beta 7
changed the behavior.  So you are comparing one scene that uses evaluate
(beta 7 and later) and one that never used it (beta 6 and earlier).  The
correct solution is to remove the completely unnecessary "evaluate".

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde