POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Merry Christmas to JRG [4x 21kbu] : Re: Merry Christmas to JRG [4x 21kbu] Server Time
16 Aug 2024 20:29:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Merry Christmas to JRG [4x 21kbu]
From: Simon Adameit
Date: 25 Dec 2001 16:44:58
Message: <3c28f35a@news.povray.org>
> See discussion in p.u.p
> JRG's problem was to view through an object (wall) but still having the
object
> interact with the scene, especially for radiosity (so no_image was not
really ok).
> JRG's proposed solution was to have a visibility level...
> I did not like that solution, (and still don't),
> and here are some illustrations of another possible solution.
>
> There is 4 reflective planes, and a container around a sphere.
> there is also a box and a cone to help to localize in space and
reflections.

> The container is: a sphere, a box, a rotated box and a cone.
> My solution is a new object(*) which has intersections only
> with rays whose direction is same as the normal of the surface.
>
> (*): syntaxe is kind of CSG-like restricted to one child. I called it
"nexus".
> Syntax is : nexus { OBJECT [OBJECT_MODIFIERS...] }
>
> Any interest ?

From what I understand this would only be usefull
for planes and such things.
But couldn't you do this with interior texture and slope?

You could also do this with a function which gives you the normal of the
surface.
(Objects where I see a possibility to find normal:
box,sphere,plane,cylinder,cone,prism,torus,bicubic_patch,parametric
you could write macros that give you the function for this objects)
Then use the select() or another function to decide if the point should be
visible on
the surface and then use the resulting function as a pattern.
You could even make the whole think dependent on the angle between the
camera
and the normal vector.

But I also thing that you should be able to switch radiosity on and off for
ojects.