POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Highlights (~36 kbu) : Re: Highlights (~36 kbu) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 20:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Highlights (~36 kbu)
From: Trevor Quayle
Date: 19 Dec 2001 10:14:34
Message: <3c20aeda@news.povray.org>
"Kari Kivisalo" <ray### [at] engineercom> wrote in message

> > It isn't a workaroud, it's reality.
>
> Is this the same thing that the manual describes as:
>
>   This is a somewhat experimental feature designed for
>   artistic use. It does not directly correspond to any
>   realworld reflective properties.

Hmm, you've got me there.

I suppose I was referring to fresnel reflection which is the one I use most
of the time (which is supposed to be more reality based).

My real point here, however, was the specular and phong highlights aren't
realistic (they are just models that simulate the highlights), that in
Reality, highlights are actually the reflections of bright objects (the
basis of POVRay's reflection model aside)

-tgq