POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Highlights (~36 kbu) : Re: Highlights (~36 kbu) Server Time
16 Aug 2024 20:30:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Highlights (~36 kbu)
From: Trevor Quayle
Date: 19 Dec 2001 08:55:03
Message: <3c209c37$1@news.povray.org>
"Rick [Kitty5]" <ric### [at] kitty5com> wrote in message
> > You can do it with blurred reflection and reflection exponent:
>
> but it would be nice if you didn't have to use a work around, which I
> conceder this to be.

It isn't a workaroud, it's reality.  Specular or phong highlight models are
*really* the workaround, as they are only a simulated highlight, but they
are a lot easier and faster to work with (for round light sources).  That
being said, I don't know what it would take to simulate non-spherical
highlights other than using several (read hundred) pointlights over the
shape of the arealight.

-tgq