POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Known Bugs 17 Dec 2001 : Re: Known Bugs 17 Dec 2001 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:28:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Known Bugs 17 Dec 2001
From: Rune
Date: 18 Dec 2001 17:00:46
Message: <3c1fbc8e@news.povray.org>
"bob h" wrote:
> Is this really highlights causing it though?
> Looks to be more a highlighting+normals bug to me.

Correct, it is a highlights+normals bug. I thought I had pointed that out,
but looking at my bug report now it seems like I forgot it. :(

The problem is that while the angle between the direction to the light and
the perturbed surface normal may be less than 90 degrees, the corresponding
angle for the unperturbed surface normal may not, and this can cause the ray
to go out on the wrong side of the object.

For reflections, code has been added to deal with those situations, but not
for highlights for some reason.

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Nov 5)