POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Rather Elementary UJoint 508KB : Re: Rather Elementary UJoint 508KB Server Time
19 Jul 2024 23:33:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rather Elementary UJoint 508KB
From: Michael McKnight
Date: 18 Dec 2001 12:22:15
Message: <3c1f7b47@news.povray.org>
> I think this is a very good demonstration for the fact that this kind of
> joint does not lead to constant angular velocities on both sides.
>
> Christoph

You know, that's interesting - when i was testing the animation, i had
accidentally rotated the axle the wrong way, and when it hit about 90
degrees relative to the other, it pretty much stopped.  Looking at the one i
posted,  i can see how the angular velocity becomes more erratic as the
angle between the two axles gets farther away from 180 degrees.  This is
really interesting because the front wheels on my old jeep are connected to
the font axle by U joints, and it's an all wheel drive.  Maybe that explains
the funny wobbling motion it makes on really tight turns.  I wonder if CV
joints would have constant angular velocities on both sides, and that's why
they are used now?

michael