POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : '3d' Life : Re: '3d' Life Server Time
20 Jul 2024 01:18:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: '3d' Life
From: david sharp
Date: 13 Dec 2001 21:43:38
Message: <3c19675a@news.povray.org>
"Dennis Clarke" <dcl### [at] blastwavecom> wrote :
> Are there 'static' formations like classic clocks and things like that?
What
> does a large formation look like over time?  Can you associate a density
color
> with formations?

In 2d there are the classic 'Conway' rules. So far as I know, there is no
standard set of rules
for 3d. With certain rule sets you can get static formations and gliders and
blinkers, etc.
So it seems pretty wide open for experimenting.
But a problem with my POV implementation is that once the 'playing field'
gets large, the
computation time gets unacceptable if the goal is experimenting, like
looking for forms that
'do stuff'.