POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : vanishing point ?? : Re: vanishing point ?? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 04:13:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: vanishing point ??
From: Chaps
Date: 12 Dec 2001 10:39:43
Message: <3c177a3f$1@news.povray.org>
Vanishing points come from 3D geometry:

If you cast a ray from the camera in a given direction, it will cross your
screen in one point V.

That means that the line that sart at the camera location and that pass at
this point is seen as a unique point : V.

Any other parallel line D will draw a segment on the screen, but as you are
considering farther points belonging to D, the image of these points is
getting closer to point V: the distance from D to the first line is
constant, and this distance look smaller and smaller when tyou are looking
farther and farther.

So, if you want to control the vanishing point of an horizontal plane, it is
worthless to move the camera up and down, this will affect only the
foreground. You must control the look_at parameter, or rotate the plane.

Chaps.