POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : uv_mapping : Re: uv_mapping Server Time
17 Aug 2024 00:14:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: uv_mapping
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 10 Dec 2001 00:35:07
Message: <3c14498b$1@news.povray.org>
"Lutz Kretzschmar" <lut### [at] stmuccom> wrote...
> So, the question is, do we revert the change or leave it. I guess it
> comes down to a question of what the default UV mapping should be.
> If we have legacy scenes, I guess the previous version would be
> better.
>
> Since I've always expected UV coodinates in the 0..1 range I assumed
> that my version was the desired mapping, but then I think right-handed
> coordinates are easier to understand :-) (please, no flames, it was
> meant in jest).

It really doesn't matter to me.  I think that the new 0..1 range is more
consistent with the rest of uv mapping in POV.  Regarding handedness, again
we should probably go for consistency with the rest of POV.

Different users will want different things.  Fortunately, they can easily
scale & translate their image however they want to and it will work.  I
really don't think backwards compatibility is a really big issue here, since
we won't have many legacy scenes, and MegaPov was an unofficial version.
Therefore, I would lean towards the mapping is most consistent with the rest
of POV, and put in the FAQ a few transformations (like what you wrote in
your message) that will convert MegaPov scenes to work with POV 3.5's
mapping.

-Nathan