POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : proposal: evaluate in isosurface : Re: proposal: evaluate in isosurface Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:23:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: proposal: evaluate in isosurface
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 9 Dec 2001 05:44:18
Message: <3c134082@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich schrieb in Nachricht <3c12ac6f$1@news.povray.org>...
>In article <3c128906@news.povray.org> , "Marc-Hendrik Bremer"
><Mar### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
>
>> I don't know if the changes you mentioned would help, but I think they
>> wouldn't. IMHO it would be really good to let the user decide if he/she
>> wants the max_gradient warnings as it happened with the old
>> "evaluate"-command.
>
>The point is to not give the user this freedom.  It causes a lot of people
>to report holes and other bugs in isosurfaces because they simply forget
>about or (worse) don't understand max_gradient.  Only a warning gets their
>attention.

Yes, I know, I answered to a lot of these messages myself. But ... they
won't see the info after they got used to all the warnings. As I said: with
a bunch of Isosurfaces in one scene (placed with loops f.e.), there is
absolutely no gain in all these warnings. With the past behaviour, one could
set "evaluate" in only those isosurfaces one was working on. You get the
info you need, you find the info you need. But if you get "spammed" with all
those warnings, they are just meaningless. You switch the warning stream off
and ask others why your Iso does not render properly. In addition - if you
want just one specific max_gradient in your scene, you have to comment out
most of the others or there is a good chance that the message pan will
"forget" that specific warning before you can read it.
IMHO there is nothing that could be done against users, which use the
program the wrong way. It's the same as with the sturmian solver - if you
don't read the docs you will have to ask others for a solution.
I'm willing to answer any "my isosurface shows unexpected holes" on the
groups I read with an individual message or a link to the FAQ/Docs, but in
the given form, the evaluate-warnings are absolutely useless if you have a
bunch of Isos in your scene: either you get Info you already had (and used
to set max_gradient the way you wanted), or you miss the info you want to
have (or have to search for it in all the warnings). For one or two Isos in
the scene, the given behaviour is a good one and a useful one - but I use
hundreds of them and so do others.

Regards,

Marc-Hendrik