POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : proposal: evaluate in isosurface : Re: proposal: evaluate in isosurface Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:16:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: proposal: evaluate in isosurface
From: Marc-Hendrik Bremer
Date: 8 Dec 2001 16:41:26
Message: <3c128906@news.povray.org>
I just tested the beta 8 with one of my more complex scenes with
isosurfaces. The report of the max_gradient warnings took about two minutes.
They did not tell me much new, as they said, I should lower max_gradient
from 4 to something between 0.5 and 2.5. I could do that, but the gain in
speed is probably to be neglected. In addition the message pan scrolled all
messages away, which where reported before the evaluation-warnings. If there
were useful warnings before, I don't know, as they scroll away much to fast.

Most of the warnings where reported for one function which is used for many
Isos, but they differ quite a lot in the values as a randomly translated
pigment-function is involved.

None of the warnings report a max_gradient of 0.

Note that I did not use evaluate in this scene!  Why is it necessary to give
me all that warnings I can't do anything about (AFAIK - the last one told me
that max_gradient is 4.316 but max_gradient was set to 5) and that do not
help me, as they are gone to fast? Okay, I could switch the warning stream
of - but there may be a warning I'm really interested in. Don't know,
couldn't see it.

I could redirect the stream to a file I think, but that is not very
convenient as I see it.

I don't know if the changes you mentioned would help, but I think they
wouldn't. IMHO it would be really good to let the user decide if he/she
wants the max_gradient warnings as it happened with the old
"evaluate"-command. It's not that you have to worry about a max_gradient set
to high, as long as you are willing to wait for the render to complete. It's
not that you are doing something wrong (f.e. not following the syntax
specifications, like with leaving out a semicolon after a #declare), it's
just that you are not working that efficient.

If you want that the warnings you give are noticed, it's in my opinion to
reduce them to those the user really needs - with my scene file I get
serious information overflow.

Please return to the old warning behaviour or implement a switch to turn the
warnings of"

Marc-Hendrik

Thorsten Froehlich schrieb in Nachricht <3c125006@news.povray.org>...