POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list : Re: Povray 4? wish list Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:24:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 4? wish list
From: Warp
Date: 6 Dec 2001 18:24:35
Message: <3c0ffe32@news.povray.org>
Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce <ken### [at] uniplanit> wrote:
: And this is the story, now we have a huge huge thread and at the
: beginning someone told not so nice things too, but I don't feel that I
: did anything wrong.

  I think that your mistake was to use an inappropriate "tone of voice"
when making the suggestions. (Of course you might not really had that
attitude when you wrote that, but it's really difficult to interpret the
attitude of the writer from just written text, without hearing and seeing,
which are essential parts of communication.)
  People got the impression that your "tone of voice" and attitude was of
the type "commercial programs are so much more advanced than povray, which
is just slow and old; thus you should definitely add this and this and that
if you want to catch up the professional programs". With this type of text
people get easily the impression that you are underestimating povray and
calling it just "a toy, which is funny to play with, but which you really can't
use for serious business".
  Nobody likes that. Write a post with that "tone of voice" about linux in
a linux newsgroup and you'll get flamed. Or gimp, or emacs, or any other big
free software.

  It's better to make a humble approach and ask things in a more subtle way.
Never underestimate the knowledge or intelligence of people. Never assume
that you know things better than everyone else here.

--
#macro N(D,I)#if(I<6)cylinder{M()#local D[I]=div(D[I],104);M().5,2pigment{
rgb M()}}N(D,(D[I]>99?I:I+1))#end#end#macro M()<mod(D[I],13)-6,mod(div(D[I