POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list : Re: Povray 4? wish list Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:15:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 4? wish list
From: Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce
Date: 6 Dec 2001 17:52:03
Message: <3c0ff621.42324921@news.povray.org>
>On Wed, 05 Dec 2001 20:01:56 GMT, ken### [at] uniplanit (Angelo 'kENpEX'
>Pesce) wrote:
>
>>nowdays everything is modelled with nurbs, subdivision surfaces and polygons
>
>Really?>
>Real modelling tools (not artistic, mind you, modelling) don't even
>have a NURBS primitive? To name a few - Mechanical Desktop,
>SolidWorks, CATIA, Pro/Engineer, Mathra... NURBS are the lowest common
>denominator tool accessible to everyone and anyone.

Sorry about that, as I'm a graphic artist I was talking about the
field of artistic modelling (mainly organic stuff). Of course I know
that many other ppl use povray to do scientific visualization, cad,
architectural stuff etc, but I think that those fields are already
covered and that povray really lacks only in that one (I don't know
really, of course I know more of my field). Again, sorry...

>Tell me, how many ways do you know of drawing a curve? I can mention
>about ten and of those I've used only five.

Mhm... Too many...

>In Mathra there are over
>two hundred (200)! Most of what is used now has been developed there
>and consequently leaked out, most notably Bezier splines (or at least
>a few types of them).

I don't know this cad system (is that a cad?). The only 3d modelling
program that is more cad-ish that I use is rhinoceros (and I really
like it too)

>So from the point of view of what *could* be implemented, NURBS are
>almost as primitive as point-clouds :)
???>