POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list : Re: Povray 4? wish list Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:32:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 4? wish list
From: Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce
Date: 6 Dec 2001 14:33:15
Message: <3c0fc7f3.30501463@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 6 Dec 2001 18:45:27 -0500, Alessandro Coppo <a.c### [at] iolit>
wrote:

>Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>
>> In article <3c0f5c5b@news.povray.org> , Alessandro Coppo <a.c### [at] iolit>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> little more than 20/40 lines
>>
>> You obviously never looked into the POV-Ray source code.  Hardly any of
>> the proceduaral textures (which is _basically_ what you call shader) is
>> complex
>> at all.  They are very simple 5 to 20 line C functions, even the fractal
>> patterns are...
>
>I haven't seen a 40-liner POV C-source pattern capable of creating a word
>with colored continents, cloud system with Coriolis-like overall shape and
>atmosphere absorbtion.... I HAVE seen a RenderMan shader doing so...
>
>The ONLY reason why I haven't just downloaded BMRT and stopped thinking
>about POV is that BMRT is even less open source than POVRay!!!

Just use PovMan... BMRT is too slow...

>Bye
>P.S.: why the POVTeam asked in fact for feedbacks in the past about POV4
>feature list when all of you already have granitic ideas about what is
>"good" and what is not? I do not ask questions when I have already made up
>my mind.
Yes, is seems that noone has doubs about povray, its future and what
should be done

>P.P.S.: I have had a "look" at POV 3.1 source, POVMAN, MegaPOV, Ray++,
>Panorama, idx3,  Rayshade,  Radiance, Ray++, ArtOfIllusion, Raja and
>zrcube...

Ray++ has some fine intersection routines imho
idx3 is not a raytracer...
Raja is so slow, what about this ArtOfIllusion???