POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list : Re: Povray 4? wish list Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:29:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 4? wish list
From: Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce
Date: 6 Dec 2001 12:16:09
Message: <3c0fa7ad.22237851@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 06 Dec 2001 18:07:06 +0100, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

>In article <3c0fa0b2.20451405@news.povray.org> , ken### [at] uniplanit (Angelo
>'kENpEX' Pesce) wrote:
>
>>>Unfortunately many
>>>people think ray-tracing is as trivial as a webserver, which is far, far
>>>from the truth.
>>
>> I'm not experienced with webserver programming, but I don't think it's
>> a "trivial" task at all.
>
>It is not hard.  And not only that, but there are also plenty of books you
>can just open that explain how to write a good server for anything.
>
>>>So your argument completely missed the point.  If you disagree, ask yourself
>>>why the most recent GPL ray-tracer project (I think it was called Panorama)
>>>failed so early?  According to your theory it should have been more
>>>successful.....
>>
>> 1 fail does not make a law
>
>Indeed, it does not.  But the lack of *any* other similar project does.
Well, ok you won on this. In fact I don't know any other decent
raytracer that is opensource.
Mentalray,Lightflow,Brazil,VirtuaLight,Photorealistic
Renderman,Entropy,Lightwave (those are the best renderers that I know
of) are all commercial or closed-source projects