POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : FAQ: Linux/Unix POV-Ray 3.5 Beta Frequently Asked Questions : FAQ: Linux/Unix POV-Ray 3.5 Beta Frequently Asked Questions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:25:34 EDT (-0400)
  FAQ: Linux/Unix POV-Ray 3.5 Beta Frequently Asked Questions
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 6 Dec 2001 11:47:28
Message: <3c0fa120@news.povray.org>
Please do not respond to this FAQ with further questions or remarks.

If you have further questions or remarks, please post them in povray.unix in
a *new* thread.

* Is there ever going to be a release of POV-Ray 3.5 for Linux?

Yes.

* When are you going to release POV-Ray 3.5 for Linux?

The date it not known.  It will be ready when it is ready.  Right now the
Linux developer is busy with his real-life.  The POV-Team does not publicly
announce release dates.

* Are you going to release POV-Ray 3.5 beta source code so I can compile it
for my favorite Unix system?

No.  Releasing source code would defeat the purpose of having beta versions
stop working after a specific time.  Among other reasons, the timeout is
necessary to avoid old and buggy versions or code floating around and
resulting in reports of long fixed bugs.

* Will the source code for POV-Ray 3.5 be released?

Yes, the source code for all platforms will be released after the final
version of POV-Ray 3.5 is available.  The release date of the final version
of POV-Ray 3.5 is not known.

* Why don't you work on the Unix/Linux version, but do work only on the
Windows and Mac OS versions?

We work on everything.  It so happens that our Windows and our Mac OS
developer are not too busy with their real-life and thus we released beta
versions for those platforms first.  The Unix/Linux source code is kept up
to date, just the work to release a beta version involves a tiny bit more
work that zipping an executable of POV-Ray.  The main Linux developer will
release a beta version once his time permits.  The release date is not
known.

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.