POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list : Re: Povray 4? wish list Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 4? wish list
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 6 Dec 2001 10:56:04
Message: <3c0f9514@news.povray.org>
In article <3c0f8a23$1@news.povray.org> , "Mael" <mae### [at] hotmailcom>
wrote:

> hmmm gcc (the gnu compiler) runs on many platforms,

Don't get me started on gcc and its many, many flaws*, just so much:  Their
core developers recently (in a discussion about future of development and
supporting IA-64) criticized the many problems they have in their code and
that nobody wants to commit to fix them, but lots of people porting it here
and there.  In summary this looks exactly like POV-Ray would be now if all
the people over the years had had their way.

I am not going to comment on any of the other stuff as it is a different
discussion.....

> (well i can understand your opinion.. may be that if i was in pov team the
> idea of people coming to ruin my code will scare me too :)))

It is not about ruining the code, it is about someone having to fix it.  And
if the original author doesn't do it the patch has either to be dropped or
fixed by the POV-Team  Now, for the people writing a patch that work may be
fun, but once you had to clean up the mess one or (worse) many people have
created you really loose interest and the "fun" part quickly.  And remember,
we are doing it for fun, not because of the big paycheck!

    Thorsten

* It is a portable C compiler.  It is a great C compiler for embedded
development as commercial compilers for embedded systems or usually very
expensive.  However, for any serious work outside the embedded world,
especially on desktop or server systems it is unsuitable.  A million monkeys
on a million typewriters won't change that.

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde