POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list : Re: Povray 4? wish list Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:14:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 4? wish list
From: Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce
Date: 6 Dec 2001 09:14:39
Message: <3c0f7c87.11190891@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 06 Dec 2001 14:34:18 +0100, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

>In article <3c0f6a1f.6477919@news.povray.org> , ken### [at] uniplanit (Angelo
>'kENpEX' Pesce) wrote:
>
>> I think that there is some feature missing for that. This is what I'm
>> trying to say in this thread... If U don't think so, please explain me
>> why a program like lightflow (yes I always talk about that renderer,
>> it's only because I know it a bit more than others, don't blame me)
>> that's really new (1 or 2 years old?) developed by a single person,
>
>It was released by that time.  Nobody knowns how long the development really
>took!

Well as the developer is 21 years old I think that it couldn't be in
developing for 10 years... Also if U count that he learned coding at
the age of 16 (as he tells in his homepage). Btw who cares? I was
talking about the lack of 3rd party export tools, and for those tools
the only thing that matters is for how long the product has been
around and how easy is to write such exporters for that product...

>> that is NOT opensource at all (not so free) and this is something that
>> should really go against it, I mean if I don't have the sources I
>> don't know the inner-workings, it's lots harder to do an accurate
>> exporter, well, why this program that seems to be so inadeguate for
>> 3rd party development actually already has a working maya and 3dsmax
>> exporter, while noone in 10 years made a good exporter for those
>> super-wide-spread packages with povray... Mabye there is some
>> difference...
>Why?  Maybe ecause nobody who uses a free program has the money to buy Maya
>and 3D Studio Max?  I, and that much is sure, don't have the money for
>those...

Don't think so, there are many free nurbs modellers too, and if U read
IRTC gallery comments you'll see that many images are done with the
aid of commercial products. Also this would be true if the exporters
for lightflow or for other products that I use where commercial, but
since they are free, I think this is not the reason that makes povray
less attractive to exporter-writers

>On the other hand, if you want to sell a new product that orginally wasn't
>compatible with anything but itself doesn't sell because of that and you
>then take a year to write modules so people (who have money to buy your
>product) can export from their tools to yours, I call that economic
>interest.  And I think we both agree that economic interest is a very
>powerful driving force.

Again, we're talking about free exporters made by 3rd part
developers... So this does not apply