POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list : Re: Povray 4? wish list Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:25:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 4? wish list
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 6 Dec 2001 08:50:39
Message: <3c0f77af@news.povray.org>
In article <3c0f6cdd$1@news.povray.org> , "Mael" <mae### [at] hotmailcom>
wrote:

> how do you explain the success of others open source projects ?

Success in what regard?  Quality or geek usage?  What about Linux kernel
2.4.15?  I have yet to see a Linux open source project of quality comparable
to that POV-Ray when it comes to stability, ease of portability or any
documentation.

The only project close to POV-Ray is Apache, and they have at least one
trillion worth of financial backup in form of every server vendor on the
planet.  And their development model is fairly will controlled as well and
taking place in a field that only needs very widespread knowledge you can
learn about everywhere.

Contrary to this, POV-Ray is near the edge of ongoing research, i.e. in
areas of radiosity and photon maps.  Obviously the point of entry of new
developers is much higher than that of a webserver or kernel, to offer only
two examples...

> moreover AFAIK many features of pov3.5 came from patches written by people
> not in the povteam, those same people you seem to think they can't bring
> anything interesting. Sure, those patches may need some rewrite, better

The rewrite thingy is the major problem.  As outlined above, ray-tracing is
slightly more complicated than a webserver or a kernel.  Unfortunately many
people think ray-tracing is as trivial as a webserver, which is far, far
from the truth.

So your argument completely missed the point.  If you disagree, ask yourself
why the most recent GPL ray-tracer project (I think it was called Panorama)
failed so early?  According to your theory it should have been more
successful.....

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde