POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list : Re: Povray 4? wish list Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:29:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 4? wish list
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 6 Dec 2001 08:34:20
Message: <3c0f73dc@news.povray.org>
In article <3c0f6a1f.6477919@news.povray.org> , ken### [at] uniplanit (Angelo
'kENpEX' Pesce) wrote:

> I think that there is some feature missing for that. This is what I'm
> trying to say in this thread... If U don't think so, please explain me
> why a program like lightflow (yes I always talk about that renderer,
> it's only because I know it a bit more than others, don't blame me)
> that's really new (1 or 2 years old?) developed by a single person,

It was released by that time.  Nobody knowns how long the development really
took!

> that is NOT opensource at all (not so free) and this is something that
> should really go against it, I mean if I don't have the sources I
> don't know the inner-workings, it's lots harder to do an accurate
> exporter, well, why this program that seems to be so inadeguate for
> 3rd party development actually already has a working maya and 3dsmax
> exporter, while noone in 10 years made a good exporter for those
> super-wide-spread packages with povray... Mabye there is some
> difference...

Why?  Maybe ecause nobody who uses a free program has the money to buy Maya
and 3D Studio Max?  I, and that much is sure, don't have the money for
those...

On the other hand, if you want to sell a new product that orginally wasn't
compatible with anything but itself doesn't sell because of that and you
then take a year to write modules so people (who have money to buy your
product) can export from their tools to yours, I call that economic
interest.  And I think we both agree that economic interest is a very
powerful driving force.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde