POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list : Re: Povray 4? wish list Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 4? wish list
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 6 Dec 2001 07:36:23
Message: <3c0f6647@news.povray.org>
In article <3c0f56d1.1535610@news.povray.org> , ken### [at] uniplanit (Angelo
'kENpEX' Pesce) wrote:

> I'm not depressed at all... But since it's impossible to see a tech
> faq, a document about inner workings, a to-do or a wish list and
> everything seems so "secret" to me, how could I know that those where
> already features somewhat planned or that pov-team was aware of
> them?????

The source code is open for you to see, so there is no secret.

I think this thread alone is a very good example to explain why there is no
completely open discussion of the development of POV-Ray or a completely
open development.  There would simply be too many people who only tell those
who actually implement feature that something is easy or that it should be
implemented this way or that way.  However, so rarely do the people who do
all the discussion actually do any work.  They just keep everyone from
working while contributing nothing usable.

To summarize my, and only my opinion, which has been formed based on the
many, many discussion that went like this one, from the newbies with three
month of programming experience thinking they can help, from those who
distributed some of the messiest source code I have seen as patch for
POV-Ray, I say:

With the kind of help that is offered it will be really difficult to adopt a
more open development model for POV-Ray 4.0.  With public contributions of
the current quality, unless constantly verified by others (read: the
POV-Team) we would end up with an insane mess and nothing remotely useable
as a ray-tracer.

Yes, this is my opinion. I won't change it. I am just letting everybody know
what I see as a major problem.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde