POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list : Re: Povray 4? wish list Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:26:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 4? wish list
From: Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce
Date: 6 Dec 2001 06:20:17
Message: <3c0f53e6.788389@news.povray.org>

<abx### [at] babilonorg> wrote:

>On Wed, 05 Dec 2001 20:21:23 GMT, ken### [at] uniplanit (Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce) wrote:
>> Just take any 3d modelling program ...
>> make povray a "professional" level raytracer
>
>Are you talking about pov as modeller or raytracer ? IMO It is rule of modeller
>to represent nurbs, spheres etc. as meshes. It is rule of raytracer to support
>meshes and primitives. POV is raytracer not modeller.

Mhmm... I think that the raytracer should support those surfaces
directly as it's hard for a modeller to do accurate tessellation. I
know if I have only one big nurbs model and an infinite plane, i can
use max tessellation and go with this... But if I have a complete,
complex scene, with many nurbs characters and a complex background, I
don't want to alter manually the tessellation parameters for every
object if it's far away or near the camera...