POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list : Re: Povray 4? wish list Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:24:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 4? wish list
From: Warp
Date: 5 Dec 2001 19:35:12
Message: <3c0ebd40@news.povray.org>
Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce <ken### [at] uniplanit> wrote:
:>  You can already do blurred reflection (see my other post where I show
:>an example). You can also make blurred refraction currently as well.
: I know, but as U can read in another reply, you can do it via a trick,
: and I don't know why I should do that via a trick...

  Because besides being approximately as fast as in megapov (and in special
cases even faster) it gives a better result and is more versatile?
  In the dragon image I used just 15 "samples" for the blurred reflection.
In Megapov that would have been way too low (the result would probably have
been really grainy). In Megapov I probably would have to bump up the samples
to something like 50, and that would have made it really slow...
  With this "trick" I also have more freedom to modify the blurring (eg. I
could make it blur more in one direction than in another, which I think is
just not possible with the megapov blurred reflection).
  It also allows me to use blurred refraction for the same price (while in
megapov it had to be a completely different patch).

  Sure, it takes more writing, but I don't really mind. I like the versatility.

: Actually someone proposed to make a .NET tool... I think that a java
: tool will be really good, as java has networking features and it's
: portable and secure for that

  That sounds like a third-party external tool, not something to be implemented
in the core povray code.

: So at last I think I made a reasonable wish list here... Who knows,
: mabye someone of the pov-team will listen to my wishes somedays...

  I don't want to depress you, but I think that all of those features have
been suggested many many times before and the team is well-aware of them... :)

--
#macro N(D,I)#if(I<6)cylinder{M()#local D[I]=div(D[I],104);M().5,2pigment{
rgb M()}}N(D,(D[I]>99?I:I+1))#end#end#macro M()<mod(D[I],13)-6,mod(div(D[I