POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list : Re: Povray 4? wish list Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 4? wish list
From: Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce
Date: 5 Dec 2001 17:31:38
Message: <3c0ea030.9727845@news.povray.org>
On 5 Dec 2001 15:47:23 -0500, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce <ken### [at] uniplanit> wrote:
>: But no professional graphician will
>: do a scene using those math primitives. Just take any 3d modelling
>: program and try to find a perfect sphere primitive... they will output
>: a triangle mesh or a nurbs surface... :P
>: Of course all the features I added in my wish list where intended to
>: make povray a "professional" level raytracer.
>
>  I don't understand why making a program "professional" means in practice
>removing 90% of its functionality, devolving it to a degree that no-one can
>use it directly.
Read my previous post... I'm not telling you to remove anything, just
to switch the priority list...

>  POV-Ray supports very fast meshes. What else do you want? Use your bloody
>modeller and make all the meshes you want, then render them with povray. What
>else do you want?
Meshes are really not enough... At least I should have nurbs surfaces
(yep it's different, as having direct nurb support in the renderer
means that it will adjust tessellation adaptively, I can't
retessellate my model every frame if it's near or far from the
camera...)