POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Where IS pov 3.5 for *nix anyway? : Re: Where IS pov 3.5 for *nix anyway? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:32:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where IS pov 3.5 for *nix anyway?
From: october
Date: 5 Dec 2001 16:06:52
Message: <3c0e8c6c@news.povray.org>
In article <3c0e7c07@news.povray.org>, "Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

> Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote: : I'm not really qualified to
> make an installer for it all
>
>   Would it work if you just distributed the compiled binary? Just make a
>   zip
> with the compiled executable file and that's it. The extra stuff
> (includes, scenes) could be zipped and distributed in a separate packet.
> The docs can be found in the web, I think.
>   I can provide a Sparc-Solaris binary (although I can't assure that it
>   will
> work in another system if it has a different set of .so files...).

Wow, progress!  It's just nice to even read the _suggestion_ that something
might become available.

Yes, there is already full documentation of 3.5 on the web and Christoph
Hormann did an excellent job porting the full win32 menus (with
pictures!) into a 2.5mb html document:
http://www.schunter.etc.tu-bs.de/~chris/imenu/insert_menu.html

A binary, a short shell script that opens vim (or editor of
choice), povfront and a browser full of locally accessed html (compliments
of Christoph) and linux users can be poving with 3.5!

Currently I run Mandrake 8.1 on an Intel platform.  I'm not a linux-guru
by a long shot but if I can assist in getting some nix binaries available
in _ANY_ way please let me know.  My work is seasonal and I have a few
months of free time just waiting for some sort of project.  :)

Best,

Jon Hoskins