POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list : Re: Povray 4? wish list Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 4? wish list
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 4 Dec 2001 17:00:01
Message: <3c0d4761@news.povray.org>
In article <3c0d3e96.31659740@news.povray.org> , ken### [at] uniplanit (Angelo
'kENpEX' Pesce) wrote:

> Wow!
> Have U seen realtime raytracing demos like naturesuxx, naturestillsuxx
> etc?

I checked out some (not sure about the names) but had a problem running a
lot of them (might be that they don't run in Windows DOS boxes).  The ones I
got to run were fairly impressive on one hand, but not that much if one
knows how simple some of the effects are if only the scene geometry is known
in advance...

> How does povray compare to those rtrt engines? (of course I know
> that povray is not a realtime raytracer) Can U tell me what kind of
> optimizations are included in povray 3.5 and how much speed gain you
> get over the previous version?

Actually, I could even do it with POV-Ray 3.0.  I did it for 3.5 just
because I needed some Easter egg so I deactivated some optimizations I
wasn't sure if they would allow me to change the camera or light source
without rebuilding the scene or other side effects (I could have looked into
the code to find out, but didn't bother).  Consequently I am only using
bounding box optimization because those don't depend on camera or light
positions.  With this particular optimization the scene is already fairly
equal in computation time when using between five to ten primitives and only
gets slower/faster with more primitives as the screen fills up.  Of course,
turning off reflection and phong shading nearly doubles the speed...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde