POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list : Re: Povray 4? wish list Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:31:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 4? wish list
From: Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce
Date: 4 Dec 2001 10:51:19
Message: <3c0cf075.11656238@news.povray.org>
On 4 Dec 2001 08:42:28 -0500, Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg>
wrote:

>On Tue, 04 Dec 2001 13:35:29 GMT, Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce wrote:
>> suggest another feature now: full support of compiled scripts too...
>
>Quick, how do you represent a floating-point number in a cross-platform
>binary format?

Like java class files do? IEE754 format? Using 128bit fixedpoint math?

>You know, we've thought of this sort of thing before.  It's easy enough to
>make a utility program output scripts, and not as hard or as slow to parse
>as you think it is.  It's not easy to keep any sort of "compiled" format
>standardized - so no utility program would be able to keep up - and in
>any case, it wouldn't read into the renderer any faster.  Profiling has
>shown us that the vast majority of our parse time is spent allocating
>memory.

Mhm yes I agree with you, writing a script file is not so hard (btw I
still think that the pov script language is not very well suited for
that kind of conversion), but reading a script file is! And many tools
require that. So mabye it's easyier to decouple the script-reading
stuff from povray and make a library for tool developers. Btw those
are only raw ideas, mabye someone already did that or did something
better!