POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : time for parsing ... : time for parsing ... Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:24:57 EDT (-0400)
  time for parsing ...
From: Jan Walzer
Date: 3 Dec 2001 15:25:58
Message: <3c0bdfd6@news.povray.org>
don't if you call this a bug, but it's not nice ...
(W2K at least)

The time, that is given for parsing, is only the time that povray
uses to parse, not the time, from parsing start till parsing end ...

You will see this, if you write some loopy, rekursive scripts,
where not /that/ much happens inside the jumps, and the parser
only jumps around in the scripts ...

I had the luck to see this, because the first time I saw this, I was
monitoring my networktraffic, and I have my POV-Files saved on my LAN.
The server is only able to deliver ~4MB/s..

I saw, that in the parsing-stage I saw the network traffic raise up to
32MBit/s, but My WIN-Machine had only a load of 40% ...

After I moved the file to the local harddisk I still have this gap...

The File parses 'bout 30seconds, but in the statistics there are
only 2sec mentioned ...

I think, POV doesn't count the time for I/O, but _I personally_ would prefer,
if this would be done ...
--
Jan Walzer <jan### [at] lzernet>