POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Collision /w moving object : Re: Collision /w moving object Server Time
20 Jul 2024 01:25:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Collision /w moving object
From: Rune
Date: 2 Dec 2001 18:59:07
Message: <3c0ac04b$1@news.povray.org>
"Mark James Lewin" wrote:
> This looks really nice Rune.

Thank you! :)

> May I ask if your particles gain energy from the
> collision with the box (especially if it is moving fast)?

It does, but it's not particularly visible in this animation.

> Can your algorithm handle _really_ speedy rotations with
> the test environment?

Yes. :)
Not one particle has escaped yet. And mind you - in this animation I used
very few calculation steps - only one per frame!

> I had considered putting this into my system, but could
> not come up with a suitable method for handling the energy
> gains easily and accurately for the these high speed
> rotation cases.

Well, it did take me quite a while to come up with the method. It only works
with transformations, and the transformation has to be separately specified.
That way I have access to the vtransform and vinv_transform functions. What
I basically do is to leave the object still and transform the ray inversely
instead. Then I find the intersection and then I transform the intersection
point etc. forward so it gets back in place.

So, it's not the spoon that is bending, but you! - err, I mean the
particles...

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated Nov 5)