POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Colour clipping. : Re: Colour clipping. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Colour clipping.
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 30 Nov 2001 08:26:47
Message: <3c078917@news.povray.org>
In article <3c078375$1@news.povray.org> , "Trevor Quayle"
<Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> If it is clipped by POV-Ray, is it possible to have
> POV clip it proportionally so that rgb<100,50,0> would get clipped to
> <1,.5,0> (orange) and not to <1,1,0> (yellow).

No, POV-Ray writes the image pixel by pixel and line by line to file so no
data is lost in a ten day render when your computer crashes in the mean time
and for memory conservation problems.  In order to do what you suggest,
POV-Ray would need to store the whole image in memory in the unclipped form.
That requires at least 12 bytes per pixel (single precision floating-point
rgb values), so rendering at i.e. 1280*1024 would require 15 MB alone!

Nearly all your problems can be avoided by more carefully tweaking the light
sources in your scene with "sane" values.  For special effects with very
strong lights I would suggest to use light_groups because this way you can
reduce the effect those lights have on the scene.

> I've discussed color clipping in the other groups before but never really
> got a clear answer on what I really wanted to know.

This group is for discussing beta bug reports because the time is past for
feature requests and you are asked to keep the off topic chatter down to an
absolute minimum.  Not getting a response in another group is no good
justification for posting here.  Please read about the purpose of this group
in the welcome message (the first message in this group, dated Sept 4th) or
see the web archive of this group:
<http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/17912/>

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich