POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Simple Repeating Material definition : Re: Simple Repeating Material definition Server Time
5 Sep 2024 04:16:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simple Repeating Material definition
From: bob h
Date: 29 Nov 2001 05:26:27
Message: <3c060d53@news.povray.org>
"Jong" <jjk### [at] mmewhaackr> wrote in message
> Dear Steve,
>
>  Thank you for your prompt help to my problem.
> When I add the statements as you described, could I simply add those to
the
> end of the union block without removing the previous material statements--
> more than 50 of them in the scene file --?
>
> My newbie question is that:
> Does the most recent material definition take effect ignoring those more
> than fifty previous statements?

Not entirely, and basically the answer in this case is no.

Only way things are changed from previous object textures is when none
existed before.  The originals are kept.  This is so you can texture
anything which was previously left untextured and yet still leave the
already textured things in place.

However, material (texture, pigment, normal, finish, interior, etc.)
statements themselves can be changed or modifed when you put new statements
or items into them.
For example:

#declare M0=
material {
    texture {
        pigment {
                    rgb <1,1,0>
                    }
            finish {specular 1}
                }
     }
 }

sphere {
    0,1
material {
    M0
    texture {
        pigment {
            rgb <1,0,1> filter 0.5
        }
            normal {wrinkles 1}
        }
    }
}

Color is changed, finish is same, normal added.  Any variation like that.

--
text{ttf"arial","bob h",.1,0pigment{rgb 9}translate<-1,-.2,3>}