POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : People : Re: People Server Time
17 Aug 2024 08:23:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: People
From: JPGargoyle
Date: 26 Nov 2001 18:42:29
Message: <3c02d365@news.povray.org>
Or you might go to the "The Visible Human Project" site
            http://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/visible/visible_human.html

go to "A sampler of images and animations from the Project"
            http://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/visible/visible_gallery.html

and download "From head to toe: an animated trip through the Visible Human
male cryosections [color MPEG, 770810 bytes] "
            http://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/visible/mpeg/umd_video.mpg

download the file, extract all the frames, and start measuring to collect
points to create a mesh of the complete body.
You have there all the information you need in order to build all, from
outline, to bones, to muscles, etc :))))))))))))))

Needless to say, it is quite a GIGANTIC task, but the result should be
pretty amazing.
If you ever achieve that, please let me know 'cause I would be very happy to
take a look at the final result.

For those who don't know, the visible human project wants to create  a
complete 3D representation of the human body. For that they got a body from
someone who was executed by lethal injection (I think) and was put inside
some sort of gel that solidified, and then sliced the body into 4mm
sections. They took pictures of each section, and thats what can be seen on
the mpeg. So you can see the body interior starting from head to toes. Too
bad the sampler available to download has  a small resolution. But I think
it is possible (with HUGE amounts of patience) to get a fairly good mesh
from those cross sections.

If anyone wants to try that, I think it could be done if we could gather
enough people to help. Because if each one took 20 or 30 or 40 frames, and
with a common method we could get enough information to create a mesh rather
quickly.
(I must be crazy proposing this!!! :P )

Well, thats just an idea. (a crazy one)

Best Regards