POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Light_sources in light_groups don't cast shadows : Re: Light_sources in light_groups don't cast shadows Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:13:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light_sources in light_groups don't cast shadows
From: Bob H
Date: 23 Nov 2001 20:42:53
Message: <3bfefb1d@news.povray.org>
"JRG" <jrg### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> I'm sorry, but it doesn't make sense to me... :(
> By definition, the lightsources inside a lightgroup should light only the
> objects in the lightgroup. If I want them not to cast shadows I'll put a
> no_shadow flag.

I believe the confusion here might be that the objects won't cast a shadow
onto things outside of the particular light group.  Is that what you were
seeing?  Or are you saying that you do not see any shadows on objects from
other objects all within a certain light group?

Hmm, I've rendered your test scene and I get a shadow across the text coming
from the torus.  I thought you were not seeing shadows on a background plane
or something, so what I'm seeing here is actually expected.

What I would question as to what is expected or not is the following:

#declare Location = <0, 2, -4>;
#declare Look_at = <0, 0, 0>;

camera
{
  location  Location
  look_at   Look_at
}

#declare Thing=
text {ttf "arialbd.ttf" "TEXT" 1,0 pigment {rgb 1} translate -x-z/2}

light_group {

light_source
  rgb 1.5
}

object {Thing}

} // end group

torus {1.75,0.25 pigment {rgb 1}} // makes shadow

In this case a person might be thinking they could shine the light through
any objects not contained within a particular light group.  Instead, it
still casts a shadow.

Bob H.