POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : water waves simulation (349k) : Re: water waves simulation (349k) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 01:26:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: water waves simulation (349k)
From: Jide
Date: 21 Nov 2001 05:37:54
Message: <3bfb8402$1@news.povray.org>
> The heightfield is not generated with Povray so the POV-code won't help
> you much.  If i make a version using an isosurface i will post the code.

It's propably better that way for speed. I generated my height_field with
function 1000, 1000
and parse time was about 2 minutes IIRC (Athlon 1,4Ghz). 1000,1000 doesn't
get you a lot of smooth water :)

> > > The main idea is to superpose several sine waves (160 in this case)
with
> > > different frequencies and directions according to a certain
distribution
> > > function.
> >
> > I tried averaging 160 sine_wave gradients then rotating and scaling
> > semi-randomly
> > but the effect is nothing like with your approach. So how about atleast
> > giving the
> > rest of us atleast a clue

> Simply random waves does not work, you have to use the correct
> distribution functions for frequency and direction to get it right.

Yeah. I kind of suspected it from the result I got.
Anyway I'm eagerly waiting to see what you can do with this.

-Jide