POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: Fluid-like simulation (MPEG1) : Re: Fluid-like simulation (MPEG1) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 01:15:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fluid-like simulation (MPEG1)
Date: 20 Nov 2001 23:53:44
Message: <3bfb3358@news.povray.org>
Hi Dennis!

I know that the real fluid theory is based on the Navier-Stokes equations,
but I think they're really too complicated to be implemented easily in POV.

I'm actually using a trial and error method and trying to see what looks
good. My latest experiment (which I hope I can post later, if it finishes
soon and looks good!!) is based in a gravity simulated environment, in which
there is no interaction between particles. Actually I tried using some
interaction detection routines, but the simulation was WAY TOO SLOW...
especially for a large number of particles.

Then I've implemented a function (which I call "embarrar", which is more or
less like "spread" in Spanish), which gives me the new direction of the
particle when it collides with the surface.
First I used a angle-of-incidence-is-equal-to-the-angle-of-the-reflection
routine, but it bounced too much and it really didn't look like a liquid.
(Even though it looked cool sometimes!)

But now, the new vector of direction depends on the angle of incidence in a
new way: if it is orthogonal to the surface, then it will spread out on the
surface. If it is not orthogonal, then it will be a weighted average between
this random spreading vector and the true reflection vector, weighted by the
angle between the incidence vector and the normal vector of the surface.
I don't know if I'm making myself clear, but remember I'm developing all
this stuff by trial and error, so I really don't have a solid theory backing
my algorithm.

I'm writing my code in Matlab, which exports a textfile with the blob's
coordinates, and then POV reads these textfiles.

Maybe I can show some of my code later, if you still are interested.

Fernando.

ps. Yes, my email is modified so it won't be taken by spam bots. If you see,
YAHOO has 3 o's in the address.

=